Saturday, April 11, 2009

Column from April 9, 2009

Table Scraps: Those colorful Easter eggs make great salads

Easter is this Sunday.

I truly enjoy the Easter holiday – chocolate bunnies, pretty dresses, special church services, fancy baskets of goodies.

And colorful boiled eggs.

What fun!

My father would buy huge baskets and hide them for us to find on Easter morning. He didn’t make them difficult for us to find, but it was a great surprise nonetheless.

I’ll never forget the first time he didn’t hide them. I got up that morning and tore the house apart looking.

I suppose he thought we had gotten too old for such things.

Oh, I was so disappointed. No Easter bunny? Was it time for me to stop believing?

I took it harder than finding out my parents were the ones who put the presents under the Christmas tree.

That’s why I still get something for my son. Like me, he loves chocolate.

So does my grandson, although we do try to limit the sweets for him. But a little chocolate bunny doesn’t hurt!

Another treat they enjoy is a hard-boiled egg. They especially like the egg salad sandwiches that often follow Easter. Not to mention the deviled eggs they gobble up.

So, what does one do with all those eggs when Easter is over? Granted, you can only eat so many before you get tired of them.

In addition to sandwiches, there are a variety of salads you can make to use up extra boiled eggs.

I found this recipe for a quick and easy macaroni salad years ago and I still make it every now and then. It has a good taste and it’s great for a fast side dish.

Egg macaroni salad

7-1/4 ounce package macaroni and cheese dinner

10 ounce package frozen peas

1 medium tomato, chopped

¾ cup salad dressing

½ cup celery slices

½ cup chopped onion

½ teaspoon salt

Dash pepper

6 hard-boiled eggs

Prepare dinner as directed on package. Add peas, tomato, dressing, celery, onion and seasonings. Chop 5 eggs; add to mixture. Mix lightly and chill. Stir in additional dressing before serving, if desired. Garnish with remaining egg, sliced.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment