Monday, January 25, 2010

Column from Thursday, January 21, 2010

That's a lot of spuds!


A very special gift

A friend of mine gave me what I consider a late Christmas present – three old community cookbooks from organizations in Texas.

Darla is the design and layout artist here at The Othello Outlook. She lived in Texas for a time and while cleaning out some boxes, she came across these fantastic books.

Being the person she is, she thought of me when trying to decide what to do with them.

I’m such a fan of community cookbooks. People submit recipes they actually have tried and their families enjoyed.

Many of the recipes have been entered in county fairs; some receiving blue ribbons. And with my series of Othello-area history stories I’ll be writing over the next few months, old cookbooks will be fun contributions to my research.

The first books I used to learn to cook were in a set my mother had. They contained recipes folks around the country had entered in county and state fairs.

I constantly used those books – I learned to cook while still in grade school – and my mother passed them down to me. I still find recipes to try in them.

The books on my shelf all have a meaning. I don’t just select any community cookbook when buying a new one.

I must have a reason to buy or keep my cookbooks. Some are from places I’ve lived or visited, while others were given to me as special gifts, like the ones from Darla.

Where else would you find a recipe for elephant soup but in a community cookbook? (Seriously, you need an elephant, carrots and potatoes. It feeds 3,800 people!)

Speaking of potatoes, January 26 through 28 is the annual potato conference and trade show. This year, the Washington State Potato Commission is joining with its Oregon counterpart at the Three Rivers Convention Center in Kennewick (Washington).

It’s really a lot of fun and everyone should consider running down for a day. Even if you aren’t a farmer or a reporter there to cover the proceedings, you will enjoy perusing the vendors at the trade show.

Lots of goodies are there for the taking, including free potato recipes from the commission. I’m anxious to see what information the Oregon Potato Commission has to offer.

Here’s a great potato recipe from one of the books Darla titled “What’s Cooking in our Kitchens.” It was put together by the Potter County Extension Homemakers in honor of the Texas sesquincentennial. Enjoy!

Potato casserole

5 medium potatoes
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 green onions, chopped (with tops)
2 cups grated cheese
1/2 cup crushed corn flakes

Cook potatoes with jackets and bay leaf until just tender. Cool, peel and dice (grate coarsely).
Add butter to soup, heat and stir. Blend in sour cream, salt, pepper, onion and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Combine with potatoes.

Bake in uncovered casserole at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Mix ½ cup cheese with corn flakes. Use as topping. Bake 10 minutes more.

Seven to 12 servings. Will freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment