Thursday, February 18, 2010

Column from Thursday, February 18, 2010

A late winter barbecue


I bought my barbecue many years ago – I’d guess almost 27 or 28 by now.


This past summer, my son was complaining it didn’t hold the heat very well any more. So, the other day, my husband came home with a brand new grill.


I was amazed. That thing is big enough to feed the entire neighborhood. Well, that may be an exaggeration, but it is twice the size as the old one.


My son was thrilled!


He’s quite the cook and always has been. I used to tell him he should go to chef school, but as a teen, it wasn’t quite manly enough, I suppose.


My daughter, on the other hand, never did like to cook. When she got married, I gave her a set of casserole dishes and one of those cookbooks where every recipe only takes four ingredients.


These days, she’s a single mother and doing a great job raising my beautiful 6-year-old granddaughter. Plus, she’s learned to cook some food and is much better at it.


My son still cooks. His favorite is barbecuing, which is why he was so excited about the new grill.


Friday, he grilled up some t-bones – after creating his own marinade – and they were sure tasty. I would have thought it would be difficult in this chilly weather, but he had no problems.


In fact, with the new grill, he complained it kept getting too hot. (Never satisfied!)


Those steaks got me to thinking about all the different side dishes that go with a great barbecued meat. Most of the salads I make, like potato or macaroni salad, don’t have any written recipes. I’ve developed them over the years through trial and error to come up with some favorites.


I do have one salad recipe I’m particularly fond of. I’ve had the recipe for years … about as long as I’ve had that old barbecue grill. Many of you might have the same recipe in your collection, so now is the time to dig it out and have it ready for summer.


After all, it’s just around the corner.


As for having a chef in the family, my son’s 11-month-old boy is perfectly happy playing with a potholder and measuring cup.


There may be hope yet!


Layered salad


1. Place one large shredded head of lettuce in bottom of a casserole dish.

2. Sprinkle over lettuce in layers 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions, 1/3 cup sliced celery and a six-ounce can water chestnuts (or substitute any other nuts, if desired).

3. Break apart a 10-ounce package frozen peas, unthawed and sprinkle on top of chestnuts.

4. Spread 2 cups mayonnaise on top and sprinkle with 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar.

5. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Do not toss.

6. Just before serving, add final layers of 3/4-pound bacon, fried and crumbled (or substitute bacon bits); three or four hard boiled eggs, sliced; and three sliced tomatoes. Top with grated cheddar cheese and serve.

This dish can be sliced or spooned.


You can adapt this salad easily to your own liking by adding or subtracting layers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lu Ann, thought I'd return the visit!

    That salad looks wonderful. Mom used to make a layer salad pretty similar. I may have to do one, as it's striking a nice chord. ;-)

    ReplyDelete