Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Column from April 29, 2010

Enjoying the lovely spring weather


I believe it must be official – spring is finally here!


And with it, we have wonderful weather for getting outside and cleaning up the yard from the winter debris that blows in. Yes, it’s hard work, but the benefits definitely outweigh the sore muscles.


I don’t have the opportunity to get outside as often as I would like. Most of the time, I spend my days in front of the computer writing. But I do take a break now and then just to wander out into the sunshine for a breath of fresh air and to see what Eric is up to.


Eric spends a lot of time working in the flower beds in the spring. This past weekend, he planted some new flowers, mowed the lawn and cleared out some weeds that were threatening to get out of hand.


We noticed several people out in their yards. It’s a lovely time of year and with summer just around the corner, it’s a good idea to take advantage of the cooler temperatures.


The standard rule of thumb here seems to be to plant just after Mother’s Day – at least that’s what I’ve been told. However, with spring so early this year, most plants should survive any cold nights we might get from here on out.


We will be putting in some tomatoes and peppers, in addition to our many flowers. Those will be great for trying new recipes in the fall.


I also plan to get some pictures of specific flowers in our yard this year. I’ve been meaning to do that and then, I get busy and forget.


It’s definitely a goal for this summer.


Speaking of busy, with all the work that goes on outside in the spring, there isn’t often enough time to do much baking. But isn’t it nice to have a little snack when you’ve finished an afternoon of yard work?


That’s when simple recipes can come in handy, like no-bake cookies. You can have a tasty snack without all the fuss and they fix up in no time flat.


By the way, I was looking over the yard and saw some changes we should make. I haven’t told Eric about them, though. I’ll wait until he’s finished what he’s already up to his elbows in before I break it to him!


No-bake cookies


1 cup butter or margarine

½ cup milk

2 cups quick oats

1 cup white sugar

3 tablespoons cocoa powder


Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, sugar and cocoa; mix well.

Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for two minutes and remove from heat. Immediately add oats and mix well.

Spoon onto baking sheet or waxed paper. Let cool and cookies will harden.

Makes 24 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment