Sunday, June 20, 2010

Column from June 17, 2010



These are my two grandsons Harley (left) and David. The picture was taken last Christmas.

A very special dad

This week, my column is dedicated to someone who truly exemplifies being a father and a dad.
The young man never really had a good example of how to be a father until recently, yet he is one of the best dads I know.

Growing up, his biological father checked out of the family when he was only 4 years old – first mentally and then physically. Several years later, his mother remarried and his stepfather turned out not to be someone to look up to, either.

However, the stepfather he now has is a wonderful role model.

Yet, through those formative years, somewhere along the way, he taught himself how to be a caring and loving person. Today, he has two boys, ages 6 and 15 months. He takes full responsibility for his children and does everything he can to ensure they have the necessities in life.

They have a roof over their heads, plenty of food in their tummies and all the love he can give.

His older son lives with his mother in Ephrata and he has him on weekends, school holidays and every other week during summer break. The little one lives with him and his fiancé.

He’s a hard worker and strives to do the best job he can, at his place of employment and at home with his children. I consider him as close to perfect as a person can be.

At only 26 years old, he’s mature beyond his years. He has a fun and amusing sense of humor and he is passing that on to his sons.

He’s protective, understanding and patient, which isn’t always easy with two little boys! He’s also teaching them right from wrong.

This young man is my son.

Sometimes, when I watch him with his boys, I am amazed at what I see and I wonder how I managed to get so lucky. He has been an absolute blessing in my life and now, he has given me these two wonderful grandsons. If they follow in his footsteps, they, too, will be special men and fathers.

That’s what I’m counting on.

So, this Sunday, I wish my son a Happy Father’s Day and thank him for being a part of my life.

Extra easy lasagna

¾ pound ground beef
3 cups canned spaghetti sauce
6 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 container (15-ounce) ricotta cheese, about 2 cups
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
¼ cup water

In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef until browned, stirring to separate meat. Spoon off fat. Add spaghetti sauce; heat through, stirring occasionally.
In 2-quart oblong baking dish, spread 1-1/4 cups meat mixture. Top with three uncooked lasagna noodles, half of the ricotta cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining meat mixture. Slowly pour water around inside edges of baking dish. Cover tightly with foil.
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes eight main dish servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment