Sunday, December 26, 2010

Column from November 25, 2010


Sharing a Thanksgiving meal with others

Today is Thanksgiving – a time to look back and recognize what we have to be thankful for.
However, I also like to use it as a day to consider what strides I’ve made in the past.
Not many people realize I struggled as a single mother for a number of years. I found myself with three small children to raise and not a lot of resources to fall back on.
My answer was to go back to school and I spent six years earning my bachelor’s degree. I planned my class schedule around my children so I would be home when they left for school in the morning and got home in the afternoon.
It wasn’t easy, but it was the best choice for me at the time and I’ll never regret it.
With degree in hand, I began a career in journalism that has spanned more than 20 years now. It’s been an amazing time and I honestly can’t imagine doing anything else. I love to write, so it’s the perfect job for me.
I’ll always be thankful to those who offered emotional support and helped me through the rough spots.
These days, however, I prefer to freelance rather than work full-time in an office situation. I’m able to pick and choose my stories. I can also take time off when I need or want to.
It also means I’m free to enjoy holidays … something that isn’t always possible when you work the odd hours of a reporter. I have time to prepare special meals for my family and sit down to the table without worrying the phone will ring and I’ll have to rush out to cover a breaking news story.
I’m fortunate to have a wonderful family to enjoy the holidays with. Some aren’t – whether it’s because they don’t live near relatives or they simply don’t have a family.
That’s one of the reasons the Community Thanksgiving Dinner is such a super event. It’s a free meal served at the Othello Nazarene Church from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Anyone is welcome to stop by.
It’s also for those who for whatever reason cannot afford to fix a special Thanksgiving dinner for their family.
Each year, 300 to 400 people are served a traditional meal of turkey and all the fixings, prepared by the staff of the Othello McDonald’s. It’s a nice time to stop by and visit with others in our community who are there – for whatever reason.
If you know of someone who is going to be alone this year, tell them about the dinner … or invite them to join your family feast. And don’t worry about having enough food. If you’re worried about that, just fix and extra salad or side dish and you’ll be surprised how many more you can feed.
I have a couple last minute suggestions for your table. These are quick and easy to prepare and taste great. Your guest will think you’ve spent all day preparing them.

Cheese and pineapple salad

20-ounce can pineapple
1 package miniature marshmallows
1 package grated cheddar cheese
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 packages prepared Dream Whip

Combine pineapple, marshmallows and cheese in mixing bowl. Boil yolks, vinegar and sugar until thick; mix into pineapple mixture. Fold in Dream Whip and refrigerate.

Honey glazed carrots

16-ounce package baby carrots
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Place carrots and water in 1-1/2 quart microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high five to seven minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet; stir in honey and lemon juice. Cook over low heat five minutes, stirring constantly. Add carrots; cook and stir two minutes or until glazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment