Sunday, June 21, 2009

Column from June 11, 2009

Turkey is for more than Thanksgiving

The other day, my son’s girlfriend gave me a cooking magazine she had packed away in a box. She had decided to sort through the items and came up with the magazine.

I glanced through it and found some great recipes that are easy and quick to prepare.

This time of year, I don’t like spending a lot of time in the kitchen. If I’m not busy writing, I prefer to be outside.

In fact, I even sat in the rain when we had those magnificent lightning storms last weekend. They brought back a lot of memories from growing up in the Midwest, where heavy rain showers were common.

One easy way to prepare a meal is to use a Dutch oven. Combine the ingredients, set the temperature to simmer and forget about it. Soups and stews are great for this type of cooking.

And if you are going to be gone for the day, you can always use the crock pot. Put those same ingredients in to cook while you’re away and you will have a ready-made meal to come home to.

I’m not much of a turkey eater. I like it for Thanksgiving, but I don’t typically cook it any other time.

But this recipe I found sounds really good and I will definitely try it next time I’m in the mood for a bowl of soup.

Turkey tomato soup

4 pounds tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 8 large tomatoes)

3 medium green peppers, chopped

2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth

1-1/2 cups water

1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

½ teaspoon pepper

3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast

3 cups cooked elbow macaroni

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for two hours. Stir in turkey and macaroni; heat through. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).

No comments:

Post a Comment