Sunday, June 21, 2009

Column from June 18, 2009

Enjoying a quiet weekend

This coming weekend is Father’s Day. Although it’s pretty important, we don’t usually go all out to celebrate it at our house.
A simple card expressing appreciation is all that’s necessary, along with a small gift.
We like quiet Sundays. I’m usually working, trying to finish up my writing for the next edition of the Outlook.
If I want to take a break, we might go for a short ride out to the wildlife refuge. That’s always a nice way to spend an afternoon.
We also like to plan simple meals for Sundays. And because it is Father’s Day, we may just decide to have dinner at a restaurant.
If I pick up the tab, it can be part of my gift for the day to both my husband and my son, who has two little boys this year to remind him what being a father is all about.
My son has always appreciated my cooking and is a great cook himself. One of his favorite dishes is an easy skillet macaroni dish I’ve cooked up since he was a little guy himself.
It’s very easy and quick to prepare – a great entrée for a quiet Sunday.

One pot macaroni supper

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon marjoram
16 ounce can tomatoes
¾ tomato can of water
1 beef bouillon cube
2 cups macaroni

Brown beef, onion and garlic. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring once. Serve with ketchup and grated cheese.

Remember, I’d be happy to print some of your recipes. Email them to labordi@hotmail.com. And if there is a little story behind them, all the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment