Sunday, October 25, 2009

Column from August 27, 2009

Back to school treat

Here in Othello, school was back in session yesterday.

It’s often a fun time for kids – new clothes, new backpacks, new pencils and paper.

Everyone looking forward to renewing friendships and getting to know their teachers.

Of my three children, it was my daughter who was the most enthusiastic about school. She was definitely my overachiever.

She hated missing a day and would even fight staying home no matter how sick she felt. She also had perfect grades even in kindergarten.

I still remember the day she brought home her first B. She was devastated and went on and on about it.

Of course, I told her it was still a good grade and that she couldn’t expect to get an A all the time. But my little perfectionist didn’t believe me … even when I reminded her that B was in PE!

My youngest son, on the other hand, couldn’t wait to get home. Those school lunches just weren’t quite enough to fill his tummy.

Today, he’s 6-foot-3, so you can imagine what an eater he was growing up. I would buy snack cakes and throw a few in his backpack every day just to get him through those hours at school.

And there would always be snacks waiting for them when they got home.

One of their favorites was – and still is – zucchini bread. Not only is it tasty and uses up all those zucchinis that take over the garden, it’s also easy to eat while doing homework.

This is my favorite recipe for that yummy treat.

Zucchini bread

3 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup oil or melted margarine

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups grated zucchini

3 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

3 teaspoons cinnamon

Add oil, sugar, vanilla and zucchini to eggs. Combine remaining ingredients and toss together with eggs mixture until moistened.

Add 1 cup nuts, if desired.

Pour batter into two greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour (325 degrees for glass pans).

Makes two loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment