Sunday, October 25, 2009

Column from October 15, 2009


Discover a new old book this month at the library


Most of my friends know I’m a voracious reader. When I’m not writing, that’s what I’m typically doing in my spare time.

In fact, I never go anywhere without a book. I’m currently reading Across the Endless River. It’s the new fictionalized story of Jean-Baptiste Charbonneau, the son of Sacagawea, by Thad Carhart.

The novel tells the tale of Baptiste’s life after the Lewis and Clark Voyage of Discovery.

I read just about anything, from non-fiction to history to memoirs to fiction novels. That’s why I made sure to get my free copy of “The Maltese Falcon” at Othello Community Library.

Everyone is invited to stop by the library and pick up their copy. It’s a great opportunity to read (or reread) an old classic. The book was selected by Mid-Columbia Libraries as part of the nationwide Big Read event. The purpose is simple … to get folks reading!

There are several activities planned here at the Othello library to coincide with reading the book. Stop by the library for a current schedule or call 488-9683 for more information.

At one point in the story, the main character Sam Spade is having a light supper with Brigid O’Shaughnessy. They are enjoying a loaf of freshly sliced French bread and some liverwurst spread.

I’m not a fan of liverwurst, but I do like appetizers for a light snack every now and then. One of my favorites, which I don’t get very often so they are always a treat, is stuffed mushrooms.

If you’re getting together with friends to discuss “The Maltese Falcon,” you might want to whip up a batch of these.


Sausage-stuffed mushrooms


12 to 15 large fresh mushrooms

2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided

2 tablespoons chopped onion

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon dried basil

Salt and pepper to taste

4 ounces bulk Italian sausage

1 tablespoon fresh parsley

2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese


Remove stems from the mushrooms; set caps aside. Finely chop stems; place on a paper towel and squeeze to remove any liquid.

In a skillet, heat 4-1/2 teaspoons of the butter. Sauté stems and onion until tender. Add lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Cool. Add sausage and parsley.

Stuff into the mushroom caps. Combine crumbs and cheese; sprinkle over stuffed mushrooms. Dot each with remaining butter.

Place in a greased pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices. Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment