Sunday, October 25, 2009

Column from October 22, 2009


An Italian meal can make an evening special


We sure had fun at the annual Old Hotel Art Gallery auction.

It’s been four years since I last attended and there were lots of new faces. It was great catching up, seeing old friends and meeting new folks.

Our city administrator did a great job, as usual, as the emcee. And the Bookers kept the floor alive during the auction.

There were door prizes and games, plus a great Italian buffet complete with wine and dessert.

What a super way to spend a Saturday evening in Othello!

I won a couple items at the silent auction – a photo collage picture frame that I will fill with some of my wildlife photos and a basket of kitchen items, which I plan to give to my sister for Christmas.

My mother never cared much for cooking. She was a great cook, she just didn’t like doing it.

But her four daughters all learned to cook and enjoy it.

So anything that has to do with the kitchen makes a nice gift for any of us.

The basket I bid on contains note pads, recipe cards, a pocket calendar, dish towels and a recipe box. I know my sister will enjoy using those items.

She’s always been praised for her excellent meals. Years ago, she put together a recipe book for us. That was in the days before computers, so it’s all type written.

Not long ago, I told her I still had it and she was surprised it’s survived this long! Well, of course, I do refer to it now and then because these are some great meal items.

There is no way I could go wrong mixing up one of her recipes. Here is one of her favorite Italian recipes.


Rotelle with creamy tomato meat sauce


1 pound spiral noodles

2 tablespoons margarine

1/2 cup diced onion

1 pound ground beef

2 cups heavy whipping cream

1/2 of a small can (6 ounces) tomato paste

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 cup chopped parsley

Parmesan cheese


Cook noodles as directed on package in boiling salted water.

Melt margarine in skillet; add onion and cook until soft. Add ground beef and cook until done.

Add whipping cream, tomato paste, salt, pepper and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 3 or 4 minutes, stirring often, until cream sauce thickens and reduces slightly. Stir in parsley.

Drain noodles. Pour sauce over noodles. Serve cheese separately.


No comments:

Post a Comment